You bring the passion for writing a book and i'll bring the strategy
WRITING A BOOK DOESN't HAVE TO BE OVERWHELMING
Maybe you've taken classes, read books, listened to podcasts, but you still have no idea how to wrap your mind around this big, complex, creative undertaking. You write a few pages, maybe even a lot of pages, and then you stop because the dog gets sick, and your boss moves up an important deadline, and you begin hearing a nagging little voice of doubt that whispers (or shouts),
"WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TO WRITE A BOOK, ANYWAY?"
The Book Startup is designed to help you stop the doubt, stop the confusion, and stop wondering what to do. YOU may not have written a book before, but I have — eight times and counting — and I have guided hundreds of writers through the process. I have developed a systematic and strategic plan to guide you through all the steps you need to begin writing with confidence.
THIS PROGRAM WORKS!
"It's possible I could have eventually figured this out on my own, but working with you is like getting a Fastpass to the front of the line." —Lisa Manterfield, author of I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home
"You are an angel in the truest sense of the word: a guardian and a guide. A kick ass angel. It is rare to find your level of talent, intelligence, candor and professionalism in someone who is equally as kind, funny and nurturing as you. When I started working with you, I thought I had a nearly-finished manuscript. I ended up throwing almost all of it out and starting over because what I was writing were newspaper columns, not a book. You taught me how to write a book. You nudged me gently, firmly and resolutely to the real story, the one I was afraid to tell, the only one that mattered. `Thank you' doesn't even begin to cover the depth of my gratitude, but it's a good place to start." -- Kate Spencer, Smoke: A Memoir
"It's like you sprinkled Miracle Grow on my book idea." —Annie Seyler, Crossing to Invisible
"You broke the shackles and lifted the weight of the world from my shoulders." —Rhonda Hayes, author of Love at the Last Minute
"You are not a book coach, you are a life changer. You are the wind beneath my wings. I fear for us if we ever end up in a karaoke bar together." —Tracey Cleantis, author of The Next Happy
"Your assignments are like manna from some writerly heaven." —Kate Kimball, new client
"I may have to start calling you my secret weapon on the road to publication." —Denise Hale
I WILL TAKE YOU FROM VAGUE IDEA TO SOLID, EXECUTABLE BOOK PLAN in SIX WEEKS.
The trick is to THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE.
This is a high value service that can literally save you years of frustration that comes from writing blind. It is equally effective for fiction and non-fiction writers, for flat-out beginners to New York Times bestsellers.
Every element we develop will also lead directly to what you will need when it comes time to prepare a book proposal for agents or to build a marketing plan for reaching readers if you self publish, so it's like double dipping in terms of your preparation and planning.
During the six week program, we will develop and refine the following:
MOTIVATION AND GOALS
- Intention – Why are you writing this book? What is driving you?
- Goals – What do you hope to achieve?
- Project Plan - When do you hope to achieve your goal? What is your plan for getting there?
- Traditional Publishing or Self Publishing – What publishing path best suits your needs?
- Audience – Who is your ideal reader?
- Intention - What does your ideal ready want from you?
- Marketing Strategy – How do you intend to reach your ideal reader?
- Marketing Plan - What can you do NOW to lay the groundwork for reaching your reader?
- Competition – Who else is working in your same space? What do you have to add to the conversation?
- For Fiction – What’s your story really about? Who is your protagonist? What is his/her driving desire? What is standing in his/her way internally? What about externally? Is there narrative drive? What is the time frame of the story? What POV would be best to tell the tale? What is the arc of your story?
- For Non-fiction (memoir) – What’s your argument/point/story? Where does the story start and why? Where does it end and why? Where do you (the narrator) stand in time? What are you willing to leave out? What is the time frame of the story? Why would anyone care about what you have to say (or how are you going to make it universal?)
- For Non-fiction (self-help, how to) -- What is your argument/point? What narrative structure best suits your material? How present are you, the narrator? What does your two-tier Table of Contents look like? What is the best template for your chapter?
WORDS ON THE PAGE
- First Chapter – Is your voice and tone suitable for the story? Is the story on the page? Are you hooking your reader from the very first sentence? Nail down these things from the start and you'll have a template for writing the entire rest of the book.
- Last Chapter – What are you aiming for in your narrative arc (fiction) or your argument (non-fiction)? Have you identified a satisfying conclusion? Nail down the conclusion right away and you'll have a clear target to aim towards as you write.
- Writing Strategy – What are the writing habits that will sustain you?
- Doubt -- What is likely to derail you and how can we prevent that?
- Support – Who can help you with your goals and objectives?
Did i mention that THIS PROGRAM WORKS?!
"Wow! I have to tell you that Jennie Nash is a true miracle-worker. I have been toying around with writing a book for years but could never seem to get it off the ground. Sound familiar? Jennie Nash to the rescue! Jennie listens to you and lasers in on what your book is supposed to be. It is almost like she pulls it out of you (because we all know there is a book inside of us) but it can be hard to find the focus and clarity. It is so FREEING to actually see your story and pin it down. I now have a clear path and purpose of how to proceed and actually can't wait to go and tell the WHOLE WIDE WORLD. She is amazing and I feel completely confident in the fact that I can ACTUALLY do this--- write a book. Thank you Jennie for being so AWESOME. You are the best." —Abby Bliss, author of the forthcoming, Sundays Well Spent
"I feel like i have emerged from wandering a directionless path alone in the dark, to a well-lit highway of possibility." — Emma Blackman
"I owe it to you....you really are great at not just the writing but the marketing and figuring out all that stuff before you write." — Paolina Milana, The S Word
WHO IS THIS program FOR?
- Writers who are ready to commit to working hard and digging deep.
- Writers who have the TIME to give to this work.
- Writers who are ready to invest in their success.
- Writers who are open to creative input -- who won't, in other words, defend every thought they've already had.
- Entrepreneurs and other experts who aren’t even sure they ARE writers, but who are certain they have a killer idea the world is waiting for.
- Writers who are not necessarily at the start of their book writing process but who may stuck and want a way forward.
WHO MAY NOT GET WHAT THEY NEED?
- Writers who might be better served by a therapist. Writing is deep, soul-level work. My clients and I cry all the time together. We rant at the world. We solve big problems. But it’s not therapy.
- Writers who want to get rich quick or who need some kind of guarantee. Writing is a creative process, and working with a coach is an investment in yourself. There are no guarantees in publishing.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE BOOK STARTUP program?
- Writers come to me all the time who are frustrated because they can't land an agent, can't attract readers, and can't seem to make any headway in their career. In almost every single case, their problems would have been solved by doing the work included in the Book Startup package. When I say that it can save years of frustration, that is not an exaggeration. I have seen it happen time and time again.
- My program is based on many years of service to writers. I know what works -- and even better, I know WHY it works. I can explain it to you, so that you understand the strategy.
- You will feel clarity and lightness around your work, with brings great joy, and means you will not be as cranky around the people you love. They will appreciate this enormously.
- You will be READY TO WRITE and EXCITED TO WRITE rather than overwhelmed and confused.
- You will finally believe you can actually do it.
READY TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP?
THERE ARE TWO WAYS TO GO: CHOOSE A GROUP WORKSHOP or ONE ON ONE COACHING
SEPTEMBER 21, 2015 | NON-FICTION, FICTION & MEMOIR | SIX WEEK CLASS
$799 EARLY BIRD PRICING OPENS MID JULY. SIGN UP TO BE THE FIRST TO HEAR.
WHAT SERVICES DOES THE GROUP WORKSHOP INCLUDE?
- Private classroom space where you can learn from other students in the class, share your work and receive feedback from others.
- 45 lessons accessible from Day 1 so you can work at your own pace
- A downloadable workbook so you can keep your brainstorming in one place.
- Dozens of videos embedded in the lessons.
- Group office hours phone call with Jennie at the end of Week #1
- Group office hours phone call with Jennie at the end of Week #3
- Author Accelerator editor to review your One Page Book Proposal within one week of end of class. You'll get individualized feedback on your idea and your plan.
ONE ON ONE COACHING
THIS IS MY PREMIER COACHING SERVICE. IT'S A SIX WEEK INDIVIDUALLY CUSTOMIZED TOUGH LOVE PROGRAM WHERE I RESPOND TO YOUR LESSONS AND ASSIGNMENTS EVERY WEEK, SUGGEST REVISIONS AND FIXES ON EVERY LINE YOU WRiTE, AND TALK TO YOU EACH WEEK AS YOU CREATE A ROADMAP FOR YOUR BOOK.
I can help elevate you from someone who just talks about writing a book to someone who is holding your book in your hands—but it only works if you let me.
If you don't believe that the chaos of the creative process can be tamed, or that I was serious about the tough love part, you probably don't want to work with me.
But if you DO believe those things, and you are ready to roll up your sleeves and get to work, I will do everything in my power to help you design the best book you can write. I have been there, as a writer, an editor, a teacher, and a coach. I have immersed myself in the realities of the creative process for 27 years, and have formed strategies that work. I'd be honored to help you.
WHAT SERVICES DOES IT INCLUDE?
Start Dates available September 2015.
Shoot me an email and let's see if this is a good fit for you.
- A project Q&A so I can get to know about you and your book.
- A customized 22-page workbook so you can dig into your project and show me what you've got, even if all you've got is a good idea.
- One writing deadline per week for six weeks. I’ll tell you what to write and why you're writing it, then I will read and evaluate your pages every week as you revise and refine every aspect of your idea.
- Professional, timely, line-by-line feedback at each deadline. I’ll make detailed comments on everything you write. Together we'll decide whether it makes sense to re-write the material for the next deadline, or to keep moving ahead.
- One check-in phone calls per week. We will talk once a week for 45 minutes and hash out the answers to every question.
- Email support throughout the month. I'll be here (almost) 24/7 to answer big and small questions as they arise.
- One-on-one attention from a professional who will be 100% engaged in your project. When you sign up to be coached by me you get my full brain, all the time -- which is to say that I will solve problems for you in the middle of the night, in the middle of a shower, and in the middle of the 405 Freeway; I will come across books, articles, blogs, and ideas that I will send your way as you work; when you hit a roadblock or get mired in doubt, I will feel the pain as keenly as you do, and will do everything I can to help you through it; and when things go well, I’ll be your loudest cheerleader.
Is one-on-one coaching easy? Almost never.
Is it painless? Not even close.
Aren't there cheaper ways to get started with a book? Yes, there are! You can search the Internet for advice on how to write a book, sort out the useful information from the useless information, and take a bunch of one-off webinars, but is that really how you want to spend your creative energy?
Why is it called Startup? Isn't that a tech term? Why yes it is.... and here's the deal: book writers today have to become entrepreneurs. We have to learn to think of our books as products. You can still write with integrity but you better learn to market with abandon, too. This program teachers you both.
- Can I guarantee you a bestseller, critical praise, or a pile of money? No, no and no. But will you end up being full of pride at what you have wrought, full of satisfaction, and with a book other people might actually want to read? Yes, yes, and yes.
TOP NOTCH WRITERS DON'T USE BOOK COACHES, DO THEY?
This New Yorker piece by surgeon Atul Gawwande is a fascinating look on how even the most seasoned pros can use a little help from time to time. It has noting to do with me. Or writing. But it speaks to the power of wanting to get better at something and being open to critique.
Want to LEARN more ABOUT HOW I COACH?
Read this Q&A I did about coaching with client Lisa Cron over at Writer Unboxed. Note that, despite the tagline about fiction, Lisa and I are talking about non-fiction. And yes, I coach both genres—and memoir, too.