You know in your BONES that something's not right with your book, but you just can't figure out what is IS.
I can diagnose what's wrong
and prescribe what you need to fix it.
I will read your pages, and give you feedback on what is working, what is not working, and what you can do to fix it. You’ll come away with a renewed sense of direction and perspective, and practical steps to get your book where you want it to be.
WHO WILL BENEFIT MOST FROM THESE SESSIONS?
- Writers who work with a creative, open mind.
- Hard workers who are committed taking their writing seriously.
- Anyone who values a balance of compassion and tough love. I'm all for bright-spotting—seeing what is shiny and bright in your work, seeing the unique story that is trying to get out. But I also tell it like it is.
WHO MAY NOT GET WHAT THEY NEED?
- Writers who are looking for the easy way out. I don’t believe there is an easy way out.
- Writers who want a guarantee. There is no such thing with creative work.
- Writers who are looking for a detailed line edit of their work—these sessions do not include line editing.
WHAT DOES THE PACKAGE INCLUDE?
I will read up to 25 pages of your fiction, memoir or self-help manuscript. All pages must be in standard manuscript format, which is double spaced, 1 inch margins, 12 point Times Roman type.
Note that if you are using this service to determine why you are getting agent rejections, the 25 pages can include text, book synopsis, annotated Table of Contents, query or rejection letters. All materials (other than email letters you are cutting and pasting) must be in standard manuscript format.
- We'll start with a 2-page Q&A where you can tell me about your book, your goals and your concerns.
- You will receive a checklist, where I rate the work on 15 key elements.
- You will receive a 3-page summary, where I give personalized feedback and suggested next steps.
- We schedule a 45-minute phone call to discuss strategies for moving forward.
- This program does not include line editing
How long does it take?
It takes one week from the time you book the service. Follow up calls are normally scheduled on weekday afternoons, PST.
How much does it cost?
$375, payable in advance.
How do we get started?
- Email me using the form at the bottom of the page
- I'll let you know the dates I have available and we'll get one on the calendar.
- I'll send you an invoice. Your payment will secure your spot.
- I'll send you the Q&A.
- On the appointed deadline day, you will email your work and the Q&A by 8am PST.
- Sign up for my Friday newsletter so you get to know me and my philosophies in advance of our working together.