BLUEPRINT FOR A BOOK
THIS IS MY HIGHEST VALUE SERVICE. IT'S A SIX WEEK INDIVIDUALLY CUSTOMIZED TOUGH LOVE PROGRAM WHERE I RESPOND TO YOUR LESSONS AND ASSIGNMENTS EVERY WEEK, SUGGEST REVISIONS AND FIXES ON EVERY LINE YOU WRITE, AND TALK TO YOU EACH WEEK AS YOU CREATE A ROADMAP FOR YOUR BOOK -- OR SALVAGE A BOOK THAT IS IN TROUBLE.
This program can literally save you years of frustration that comes from writing blind. It is equally effective for fiction and non-fiction writers, for flat-out beginners to New York Times bestsellers. But you have to be ready to dig deep and work hard. You have to be ready for some serious tough love. You have to be ready to invest and you have to be ready to make more progress than you have ever made before.
Every element we develop together in this program will also lead directly to what you will need when it comes time to prepare a book proposal for agents or to build a marketing plan for reaching readers if you self publish, so it's like double dipping in terms of your preparation and planning.
Note that I don't take on every writer who approaches me for this service. I have to believe it can really help you. You have to believe it can really help you. We have to know that we can do awesome work together. The first step is to fill out the form at the bottom of the page to let me know you're interested.
WHO SHOULD SIGN UP?
I can help elevate you from someone who just talks about writing a book to someone who is holding your book in your hands—but it only works if you let me.
If you don't believe that the chaos of the creative process can be tamed, or that I was serious about the tough love part, you probably don't want to work with me.
But if you DO believe those things, and you are ready to roll up your sleeves and get to work, I will do everything in my power to help you design the best book you can write. I have been there, as a writer, an editor, a teacher, and a coach. I have immersed myself in the realities of the creative process for 27 years, and have formed strategies that work. I'd be honored to help you.
WHAT SERVICES DOES IT INCLUDE?
PRICE: $4,200. A $600 DEPOSIT RESERVES YOUR SPOT.
START DATES NORMALLY AVAILABLE 2-3 MONTHS OUT.
click through to the application form, below, to get the process started
- A customized 38-page workbook so you can dig into your project and show me what you've got, even if all you've got is a good idea. You will work on this workbook before our first deadline. I will amend assignments based on what I see in your pages.
- One writing deadline per week for six weeks. Together we'll figure out what you should write and WHY. I will read and evaluate your pages every week as you revise and refine every aspect of your idea. Submit up to 35 pages each week.
- Professional, timely, line-by-line feedback at each deadline. I’ll make detailed comments on everything you write. Together we'll decide whether it makes sense to re-write the material for the next deadline, or to keep moving ahead. You will receive my notes within 72 hours of submission -- so there is no waiting around to see what I think.
- One check-in phone calls per week. We will talk once a week for 50 minutes and hash out the answers to every question and concern you have about your idea, the words on the pages, and publishing in general.
- Email support throughout the month. I'll be here every work day to answer big and small questions as they arise, at any time of the day and even sometimes at night. If you are confused or stuck, you can shoot me and email and you'll get a reply, often immediately, but always within 24 hours.
- Deliverables. You will end up with a clear idea of what you are writing, a solid structure for the entire work (including outline and, when appropriate, chapter templates) opening and closing chapters, a definition of your ideal reader, a list of competitive titles, and an understanding of your motivations and goals. All of this material is used to guide your writing and is also used when it is time to pitch your book to agents or direct to readers.
- One-on-one attention from a professional who will be 100% engaged in your project. When you sign up to be coached by me you get my full brain, all the time -- which is to say that I will solve problems for you in the middle of the night, in the middle of a shower, and in the middle of the 405 Freeway; I will come across books, articles, blogs, and ideas that I will send your way as you work; when you hit a roadblock or get mired in doubt, I will feel the pain as keenly as you do, and will do everything I can to help you through it; and when things go well, I’ll be your loudest cheerleader.
- A plan for moving forward. Do you want to go off and write the book on your own and perhaps return for an editorial evaluation? Would coaching through Author Accelerator make the most sense? That gives you affordable weekly feedback from a book coach I have hand selected and trained to help writers finish their books. In select cases, I may offer to coach you through the writing and development of your book myself. No matter what, you will have a clear plan for what to do to bring your book to life.
new CLIENT APPLICATION
I take a select number of clients in this program. I focus on writers I believe I can take to the highest level of success. If you are interested in working with me, the first step is to fill out this form. Note that we normally won't start work for several months, and there will be work for you to do in advance of our first deadline, so if you are thinking about the program, the sooner you can let me know, the better.